Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Australia



It was a Friday night, I'm pretty sure. The evening had been calm : the usual stuff, shopping, chatting with friends, not doing much. I felt a bit edgy and nervous. Alone but not lonely. A lot of avies running around, if I remember well, or maybe it was my state of mind at that time. Some newbies appeared to be having nervous breakdowns arriving in a universe which always seems, especially in the beginning, like a unlimited playground without rules and bounderies. The 'verse is a vast and hectic place, changing all the time, never standing still.

So on that Friday
, in January 2008, in urgent need of wanting to dance to good music, my typist, always eager to please me, searched for a new place to explore. This is how and why I arrived in the courtyard of what appeared to be a saloon.

First impressions are important. In this case, I had the distinct feeling of arriving in Australia. I have no idea why. The feel of the place, I guess. Something in the air. I entered the building and was immediatly blasted by the energy and loudness of the music. Was it Marilyn Mansion? Nitzer Ebb? Sisters of Mercy? I don't recall. But the DJ had apparently decided that decibels were not to be spared on that evening.

The place wasn't crowded. It was early in the evening. I remembered seeing a few people hanging around. Three of them caught my eye. As I stepped in, the man being the bar called on me: "Hello, Miss Koba. Welcome to the friendliest bar in the' verse!" I smiled a bit shyly, and muttered; "Thank you, Mr...Mr. Barnes." He seemed like the owner or maybe he told me he was after I started to sip the glass of Bordeaux wine which he had handed me.

And then the DJ...I couldn't have missed him even if I was blind. A blue-skinned humanoid, with dark hair, and beautiful wings, who was leaning on the door of a pick-up truck located in the bar...yes, in the bar. His truck, he told me, much later on. The name of the DJ is also quite the number: Cholgosh Swindelhurst. Nobody in his right mind can't forget such a name.

The third person was on the stage in silks, her dark long hair flowing, her body moving to the rythym. Her name is Shaylin, and I immediatly took a liking to her. She was beautiful.

I surveyed rapidly the place, scratching my head before the bathtub on the side...."Kinky stuff in Australian bars?" Not wanting to look like a total nerd, I took note of the towels and there cleanliness: this bath is not a prop, someone takes their baths here.

"So Mr. Barnes, we are in Australia?
" I asked. To my total dismay, from behind the bar, I heard him breathe deeply and answer slowly "No, Miss Koba...this is Texas...Texas, Miss Koba."

I wanted to disintegrate right there. The DJ chuckled as I turned crimson red. I walked to the dance floor and started to dance.

My typist cracked up.



No comments:

Post a Comment